System Specialist I, II, & Sr.
- Level 1 – Must be able to achieve many objectives of this position. Requires some amount of timely supervision to ensure the proper tasks are being accomplished and that communication is adequate, timely, in the correct manner (i.e. verbal, written, email, etc.).
- Level 2 - Consistently achieves all of the objectives of this position. This individual also provides mentoring and direct day-to-day supervision to Level 1 positions.
- Senior - Highly experienced in the position. Advanced awareness of the technical needs of controls system programming, integrations to other systems, and very sophisticated HVAC strategies if working in the control field. This individual has a deep understanding of the many systems installed and maintained. Provides mentoring and direct supervision when required on projects.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide Controls Systems database, graphics, programming, etc. for sequences as provided by the Design Specialist, project specifications, or other applicable sources.
- Provide accurate controls of special systems start-up and commissioning including point-to-point checkout on projects as assigned. Verify correct alarm, annunciation, and other actions by equipment, devices, panels and interfaces with Special Systems and BMS.
- Support installation personnel on project sites.
- Provide information and support for other contractors on project site.
- Debug installation issues during both the static and dynamic start up and commissioning of building controls and special systems.
- Provide support to Project Manager and other contractors to solve building operating issues that go beyond the controls or special systems operation.
- Provide input to others as requested or required to assist in the accurate estimation, design, installation, start up, commissioning, and training for building systems.
- Provide start up documentation including daily logs, check out logs, commissioning documents, etc. as required for assigned projects.
- Ensure timely software backups are created for projects and software development.
- Provide service support on existing installations ensuring systems continue to meet existing building occupancy codes.
- Provide service support on existing systems insuring their proper and efficient operation as well as providing ongoing support to the facility’s building engineers.
- Complete time sheets, service work orders, and other paperwork required for this position in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist in preparing of as-built drawings and Operation & Maintenance Manuals.
- Assist in turnover of projects from Operations Team to Service Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications:
Minimum of high school diploma.
Two year technical degree in HVAC or Electronics related studies preferred. An undergraduate degree in Electrical or Mechanical related studies is excellent.
- Other technical experience such as military, on the job training programs, etc. may meet this requirement as determined by local management.
Experience and expertise including but not limited to:
- An understanding of computer operating systems including MS Office Suite of products.
- The ability to configure and debug computer and networking problems.
- Experience with programming.
- A clear ability to work with electronic equipment such as volt meters, amp meters, oscilloscopes, etc.
- The ability to troubleshoot basic electric and electronic circuitry including reading and interpreting electrical and electronic diagrams.
- A working understanding of AC power circuitry including breakers, multi-phase power, etc. (120VAC and greater)
- Clear and concise ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- An ability to understand empathetically the issues and perceptions others have and to creatively and successfully work through these issues to achieve a successful outcome and customer and employee satisfaction.
- A thorough understanding of HVAC operations within a facility if working in the controls field.
- Level 2 and Senior System Specialists have a very deep understanding of the DDC or special systems that control buildings. An advanced understanding of multiple types of Special System products.
- Level 2 and Senior System Specialist also have a strong awareness of Skyline Automation culture and the culture of the industry in which we work.
- Be able to lift and carry ladders, drawings, personal computers, material, etc.
- Be able to spend significant time standing and walking on construction sites.
- Be able to climb several flights of stairs or ladders throughout a typical day on a construction site.
- Maintain a satisfactory driving record which, per our vehicle policy, allows the individual to drive a company vehicle.
- Be physically able to kneel, stoop and crawl.
NOTICE: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the employee occupying this position. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor.